Loch Calium Conditions
Dounreay Fly fishing Association has signed a lease with the RSPB to allow Club members to fish on Loch Calium plus two small lochs Chiteadh and an Duine which are close by.
As the lochs are with in the RSPB reserve there are some special conditions that the DFFA must observe.
- At present there are no boats on any of the lochs so fishing is from bank by fly only.
- No visitors allowed.
- Sunday fishing is permited.
- Access is round Dorrery Farm Steading- see maps.
- On Caluim, from 1st May to 31st July there should be at least 3 clear days without fishing, between angling visits, and the DFFA online booking service is set out to cover this requirement. The two small lochs have no such restrictions but the no access to the north east of the small lochs must be observed – see maps.
- The RSPB retains the right to close any, or all the lochs if rare birds are found to be nesting there and they may also request closure to allow special surveys to be carried out. Breeding birds or otters should be strictly avoided.
- Accurate fish returns are required (on club membership card) and should show no. Of fish kept, their total weight and the weight of the largest fish. The no. Of fish returned and some indication of sizes should be shown.
- DFFA membership cards must be displayed in the card windscreen area.
- Fishing and walking equipment must be free from mud and vegetation before arriving in the reserve area.
- At present the road beyond Torran water is more suitable for 4×4 vehicles but it may be improved in the future. Parking is available in a quarry about 600 meters from Caluim and vechiles should be left there as there is no turning further on.
- Any unauthorised fishing, illegal activity or unauthorised disturbance observed should be reported to Graham Thompson (Site Manager) on 01641 761321 or 07736722166.